2019-03-13

3.14 Day


Hello everyone and Happy Pi Day!
I come to you on this special day with another recipe, this time (of course) for pie!

This apple pie is adapted from a recipe by the Hummingbird bakery. I personally love my apples to be a bit on the sour side, so I chose Granny Smith apples, but you could use any juicy apples.

The wonderful apron and dress that I am wearing are both from Olga Valeska's Etsy shop. And my ring is from Femme De Bloom.



Without further ado...


Apple Pie


INGREDIENTS

  • 520 g flour
  • 220 g butter
  • 4-5 tablespoons cold water
  • 150 g butter
  • 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 kg apples
  • 100 g sugar
  • 1 egg + a tablespoon milk

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 175°C.
Whisk the 220g butter with the flour, until you get a grainy consistency. Add cold water, tablespoon by tablespoon until the dough comes together. Leave to rest in clingfilm for an hour.

Divide the dough into two equal parts (one part for base, and one for the pie lid). Roll out one part of the dough until half a centimeter thick and line the pie tin with it.

Peel and slice the apples in fairly thick slices.
Put the 150g butter and cinnamon in a saucepan and melt the butter, then add the sugar followed by the apples slices. Make sure all the apple slices are covered with the butter-cinnamon-sugar mixture and let cook for a couple of minutes until the apple slices soften a bit, but are not completely cooked. Spread the apple slices on a plate and leave to cool.

Fill the dough covered pie tin with the cool apple slices. Roll out the other part of the dough, and place it on top of the apple slices like a lid. Cut a couple of slits in the pie lid (so that the steam can leave) and add any decorations.

Beat the egg and add a tablespoon of milk to it, then brush this mixture over the pie lid. Sprinkle on some sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes.


So there you have it, my apple pie. I hope you like the recipe and I hope you spend this Pi Day eating lots and lots of pie. I like to eat my pie with ice cream or custard, but I prefer Pie à la mode. How do you like to eat your pie? Please tell me in the comments.



Much love,
Mona

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful outfit and pie, Mona! I like my pie with hot custard, although a good quality vanilla ice-cream is good too.

    I love that your pie filling is bursting with apples. Pies with hardly any filling are always so disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much wonderful Jo.
      Yes, I do like a good custard myself...

      Ah, thanks! I agree, the filling should be over-filled!

      Much love,
      Mona

      Delete