2015-10-15

Donut worry


This doughnut dress is one of my favourite dresses of all time (most probably because it's got embroidered doughnuts on it! Doughnuts!). I first saw this dress on my Instagram/blogger bestie, the intelligent, lovely and stylish lady, Liana of Finding Femme. Liana's blog is one of my big blog-inspirations, her posts are elegant and eloquent, and her style is always beautiful. When Liana wore this dress she styled it impeccably with a beautiful belt and scarf, and fantastic heels. As we are going towards colder weather here in Sweden, I styled it with a pair of thick tights and warm cardigan (that I didn't wear for the pictures, because the dress looked better without). We are already reaching temperatures below zero during night and early mornings. So tights were an essential.



I've proclaimed my love for doughnuts on the blog before. As I said then, good doughnuts are hard to come by in northern Sweden. We don't have the immensely famous Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts, so from time to time I embark on the adventure of whipping up my own doughnuts.


So far I have only ever tried making "Cake Doughnuts" and if I am to be honest I didn't know that there were different types of doughnuts until quite recently. With the info I've gathered Cake doughnuts are more old-fashioned and are raised by baking powder rather than yeast and therefore have a more "cakey" texture. All I know is that they are delicious and easy enough to make.

The recipe I use can be found here from Joy of Baking. I've mentioned Joy of Baking earlier and I cannot rave about it enough, what a brilliant place it is! I often use recipes from Joy of Baking so don't be surprised if you see it again on the blog.





CAKE DOUGHNUTS

Recipe adapted from Joy of Baking.

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 eggs
  • 165 grams sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 390 grams flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used regular salt)
  • 3/4 teaspoon powdered nutmeg
  • 40 grams butter, melted
  • 120 ml milk, room temperature

DIRECTIONS

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a bowl.
In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Alternately add the flour, milk and melted butter. The batter will be soft but cover it with plastic film and let it sit at room temperature for half an hour.

When the batter is firm enough to roll out, do so on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin to about the thickness of half a centimetre. Cut out with doughnut cutter or cookie cutters. I used two cookie cutters, one 8 cm one and another 2 cm one for the doughnut hole. Heat up oil in a fryer to 190 degrees C. I used canola oil, but you can use any oil you prefer. Carefully place two doughnuts at a time in the fryer and fry each side for about 60 seconds or until golden brown. Remove doughnuts from fryer and let sit on paper towel until cooled.

The doughnut is ready for icing, sugar or ganache. Or you can eat them as they are, they're delicious as they are without anything on too.




Homemade doughnuts are really great, and they are fantastic straight out of the fryer. So delicious when they're still a bit warm. I love to fry the doughnut holes on their own and roll them in cinnamon-sugar and eat them before I eat the actual doughnuts, but don't tell anyone... 


Dress: Nishe via Asos (old)
Nail polish: Barry M - Gelly Hi Shine in Blueberry


Much love!



12 comments:

  1. First of all, that dress is too cute for words, and you look so adorable in it! It's just perfect on you.

    Second, THOSE DONUTS LOOK SO DELICIOUS!!! Cake donuts are sooooo good. I wish Sweden had a better selection of donuts, but it looks like you've got the situation under control. Over here, it's the season of apple cider donuts--nothing is better than enjoying a few of those at the end of a long autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling Devinne!! I how a strong love for dresses with pastry and dessert on it!

      Thank you sooo much!! The cake doughnuts I've tried (the ones I've made) have been really good. I really want to try someone else's. Haha, I try! ;) See, now that sounds absolutely delicious, I might have to try and bake some! :P
      Much love!

      Delete
  2. You're so cute! I love donuts - they're one of my favorite treats. I actually haven't had one in over a year (can you believe that??) just bc I have been trying to watch what I eat these days but sometimes, when a craving strikes, I donut care. HA! See what I did there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thaaanks :3
      I love doughnuts too, sooo very much! Oh gosh, that's a long time. I think it's okay to treat yourself every once in a while.
      Haha! I did see indeed. Very clever! ;D
      Much love

      Delete
  3. Cake donuts are my favorite! You look adorable in that dress and those donuts look amazing I think you've inspired me to whip up some of my own :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I can never decide which ones I like best. I just love doughnuts in all forms! Haha
      Aww, thanks so very much! Yes do! And let me know how it goes!
      Much love

      Delete
  4. This dress is so cute, and so are you! We can actually see that you're happy to be wearing a doughnut dress :P However, I've never been a fan of doughnuts myself, even the Krispy Kreme ones... they're just too sweet :( I rather like them on dresses!
    But your homemade ones look so pretty with all these colours!

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you beautiful Julia! You are too sweet. My co-workers noticed I was very happy about my dress too! Haha!
      Really? That's unusual, but I know people that don't like doughnuts, so it's not surprising. I like sweets that are very sweet, but everyone's taste is different.
      Aww, thanks so much. Maybe you'd like it better without icing on. They're not too sweet then.
      Much love!

      Delete
  5. I NEED TO RESTYLE THIS DRESS AGAIN AND MAKE DOUGHNUTS

    I love you so freaking much

    Liana

    www.findingfemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh! YEEES! DO! Your styling is always sooo perfect! Can't wait to see what you come up with this time!!! <3
      Looove you!

      Delete
  6. That dress is too darn cute!! I love it! Strangely enough, though, I don't love eating doughnuts...but I love, love, love sweets. However, doughnut dresses are fantastic. :)

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you darling!
      Really?! Whaaaat? I have a friend that likes all kinds of sweets except doughnuts too... weird.
      I agree, doughnut pattern is cute!
      Much love!

      Delete