2015-10-27

Icing without the cake


Last year I made a pumpkin pie for the very first time (see it here on the blog), and while I was extremely happy with how it turned out because of the "crust work" that I did on that pie I did find the pie filling to be the tastiest part. Let's be real, a pie's filling is why we eat pie. The filling is what makes the pie and it's usually the most delicious bit of the pie. The crust is just the casing. So I had the idea of making pumpkin pie without the crust, sort of like having the icing on a cake without the cake.



I made a pumpkin pie filling and then poured the batter in cupcake cups in a cupcake tin. It was quite the experiment and I had no idea if it would work or the batter would hold once baked. But to my surprise it turned out quite well. It is possibly one of the easiest bakes I've ever made, you'll see below in the recipe how simple it actually is. All in all I conclude it as a successful experiment.




Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes


INGREDIENTS
  • 425 grams (one tin) pumpkin purée
  • 397 grams (one tin) of sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 90 grams flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt


DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 175°C. 
Mix everything together in a bowl. Pour batter into cupcake cups in a cupcake tin (to hold their shape). Bake for about 20 minutes.
Leave to cool completely and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Serve with whipped cream and some sprinkled cinnamon on top.





Much love!

14 comments:

  1. These look delicious!! I am absolutely dying for a pumpkin pie/pumpkin cupcake now! This recipe does seem very doable. With my very limited baking skills, I just might actually be able to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lindsey! It really is super simple to make. Nothing to worry about, just don't bake them for too long, they should be a little wobbly in the middle. I'm excited to hear how it goes!
      Much love

      Delete
    2. I just finished making pumpkin cupcakes Mona - and they are delicious! (I made mini cupcakes, just because those were the only baking cups I had at the moment, and they still turned out great!) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I am going to make these for my family's Thanksgiving!

      Delete
    3. Oh yay!! I'm so happy you made these and that you like them!! <3
      Mini sounds even better - they'll be gone in one bite!! :D
      It was my pleasure sharing it. That sounds wonderful, hope your family will like it as much as you do <3
      Much love

      Delete
  2. This is actually a really good idea! The pie without the crust, I'd never thought about it but I also eat pies mainly for the filling and not the crust - which tends to be too dry most of the time. I've never tried pumpkin cake so I have no idea how it tastes, but I'll have to give it a go because it looks delicious!

    Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julia. Yes, right! The filling is everything.
      I had never tried it until last year, I'd describe it as sweet and spicy (cinnamon, ginger...). The pumpkin itself doesn't have a very strong flavour, but gives a mellow sweetness.
      I really like it. And even more so, people that say that they don't like too sweet sweets really like it, since it's only sweetened condensed milk in it, and no sugar.
      I'll love to hear how it goes if you attempt it!
      Much love

      Delete
  3. Ooooo they look absolutely delicious and adorable!!! Yum! Pumpkin pie is my favorite part of Thanksgiving! I'd eat all of these while you weren't looking, my friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much darling!
      We don't have thanksgiving, so for me it's just pie for any day! haha :D
      Haha, you'll have to fight me for them! <3
      Much love

      Delete
  4. I've finally made one of your recipes Mona! They taste amazing! I think yours look a bit more impressive than mine. I'm just finishing up a post with photos of them and a link back here to the recipe if any of my readers - I hope you don't mind and that you like it!
    Emma Xx
    www.emmaslookingglass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaay Emma!! Thank you so much for trying out this recipe!! I'm so so glad you liked them!
      I think yours look beautiful!! So stop that! Yours look impressive and amazing and super tasty.
      I don't mind at all, I'm incredibly flattered. Thank you so much darling!
      Much love

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! Very well done!! I never seen anything like these! That pumpkin filling looks absolutely divine :-) Pumpkin is my absolute favorite flavor in the fall and winter; even Moxie gets to have a little bit of pure pumpkin in her food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you darling Devinne! Haha, it was very tasty.
      Pumpkin is so good, especially in the autumn. It just makes sense to eat when the weather is cold. Aww, even Moxie gets some, that great!
      Much love

      Delete