2015-09-10

End the silence

This is not a planned post. I wrote it in about 2 minutes, but I was only a couple of hours ago informed that today is World Suicide Prevention Day, and I cannot keep silent on such a day. I will begin by saying that I suffer from depression, I am however not going to talk about my own feelings and experiences as I feel like I need more time to write a post like that.

What I will say is this:
Suicide is happening. All the time. Every 30 seconds someone will take their own life. Not talking about it is clearly not the solution. We've tried not talking about it for as long as we've existed, and it's never worked. The conclusion is simple, and it is that we need to talk about suicide. We need to talk about mental health, mental illness and depression. Without judging and without the shame and stigma.

Suicide is completely preventable - if we just talk about it. It is a conversation worth having, and it is a conversation that will save lives.

A friend of mine shared these moving and important TED talks about ending the silence around suicide, and I really think they are vital for everyone to watch. Please take the time to look:

Watch here


On this day and every day,
Much love to you all

4 comments:

  1. I have a lot on my mind after watching those videos, but I wanted to thank you for posting this. I absolutely agree--we as a society need to be more open about suicide and suicide prevention. We have no trouble raising awareness for physical illnesses, but when it comes to mental health, everything is so hush-hush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do get a buzzing mind after watching them, it's hard to not be consumed by thought. I agree with you completely! Mental health has become this taboo thing that no one ever wants to mention, but we need to. The first step is this that we're doing here. Talking about it. Talking about how it is a problem. I really wish that one day mental illness will be treated as other illnesses.
      Thank you so much for watching the videos, and thank you for your comment.
      Much love

      Delete
  2. Such an important issue, so many leave this world fighting things that could have been helped from others but for whatever reason they didn't know. We need to be more open about it and not ashamed. It's a physical illness and not just a cry for attention that so many still seem to think it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Absolutely. If we just talk about it more we can actually save lives! That's amazing that we can do that by doing something as easy as talking or listening.
      I completely agree with you, mental illness is so biological, and if people realised that they would have to reasses their misconceptions.
      Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate it! <3
      Much love

      Delete